Glaucoma is a chronic degenerative disease whose incidence increases significantly with age. According to the World Health Organization, it is the second leading cause of blindness in the world. Estimates put the total number of suspected cases of glaucoma at over 60 million worldwide.
GlaucoPharm was founded in September 2013. It is a private limited company, funded by the Office of the Chief Scientist of the Israeli Ministry of Economy and Youdim Pharmaceuticals.
The company is developing a novel topical treatment for glaucoma, namely TG-46, based on technology licensed from Bar-Ilan University (Tel-Aviv, Israel).
This drug is a particular uridine di-phosphate derivative, useful for the treatment of diseases modulated by the pyrimidinergic receptor P2Y6, such as glaucoma, by lowering intraocular pressure (IOP) and exerting neuroprotection.
- Initial studies in normotensive rabbits showed IOP reduction of 45% compared to the control, and of 33% compared with commercial drugs, following 2-3 hours of treatment.
- Studies in acute and chronic glaucoma models have shown long-lasting efficacy of TG-46 (pre- and post- treatment) on IOP elevation.
- Recent in vitro study demonstrated that TG-46 exerted neuroprotective effects.
- TG-46 did not show cytotoxicity effects, compared to commercial drugs.
- In addition, no eye irritation, no clinical noticeable signs and no-toxic or mutagenic effects were observed.
GlaucoPharm is developing new therapeutic strategy for glaucoma – a uridine diphosphate (UDP) derivative that is an agonist of the P2Y6 receptor. TG-46 is of a different class from the drug classes currently used for the treatment of glaucoma (e.g. prostaglandin derivatives, beta-blockers). It is also a different class from those who are currently being investigated by pharmaceutical companies (e.g. Rho Kinase inhibitors).
- Alternative to first line drugs (reduce IOP/treatment of glaucoma)
- IOP reduction more than any other commercial drug on the market
- Potential novel mechanism of action (neuroprotective effects)
- Binds strongly and selectively to P2Y6R
- Very safe compound with no side effects
TG-46 and its applications are protected by patent, entitled:
URIDINE DI-OR TRI-PHOSPHATE DERIVATIVES AND USES THEREOF:
- Compound, family and pharmaceutical composition
- Prevention or treatment of intraocular hypertension and/or glaucoma.
- Treatment includes: Primary Open Angle, Normal Pressure, Acute Angle Closure, Absolute Chronic, Congenital, Juvenile, Narrow Angle, Chronic Open Angle, and Simplex Glaucoma.
- The patent has been granted in:
- US-Patent no. 9221868
- EU-Patent no. 2646449 (validation in Switzerland, UK, Germany and France)
and is pending in Israel, application no. 226615.
- Dr. Orly Weinreb, CEO
- Dr. Tali Fishman Jacob, CTO
- Chemistry advisor: Dr. Jeff Sterling
- Scientific advisors: Prof. Moussa Youdim, Prof. Bilhah Fischer, Prof. Jesus Pintor.
Dr. Orly Weinreb
2 Ha’Carmel St, Yoqneam 20629207 Israel
Tel: +972 (0)4-909-0007